August is the toughest month in the garden. It is hot, the plants look tired, the produce is dwindling or I wish it was dwindling. But looking forward to fall and the plans for next spring.
So what am I doing this month?
- Sprinkle compost starter to help build up soil
- Prune my summer blooming shrubs after flowers finish blooming, like hydrageneas.
- Planting cool weather herbs for the greenhouse and garden; cilantro, parsley and dill.
- Planning perennials and bulbs for the fall planting.
- Planting lettuces, kale, arugula and spinach seeds in my raised beds for fall harvest. I might plant carrots.
- Removing tired flowers from pots and repotting them with some fall favorites, asters or mums. Maybe some snapdragons.
The other chore will be looking at perennials to decide what I am going to divide next month and if I need more perennials. Where do I need to add things, etc.