I love pasta anytime of year but winter allows for some heavier pasta. This dish satisfies as not only delicious but comfort food. Rich with flavor and some cream sauce to line the tummy on a cold night.
Fontina Cream Pasta
1lb. of Italian Sausage, hot
3 cloves of minced garlic
½ yellow onion, chopped
28 oz. crushed Italian tomatoes
3 T. tomato paste
1 T. dried basil or 1 t. fresh basil, chopped
¾ c. half and half
½ lb fontina cheese, grated
Salt and paper to taste
1 lb. rigatoni or penne pasta, cooked according to direction.
· Brown the sausage, and drain off the excess fat. Saute the onion and garlic until translucent.
· Add onions, tomato paste and basil. Simmer over medium low heat for five minutes to thicken the sauce.
· Reduce the heat to low and add half and half.
· Add the fontina cheese and stir to allow the cheese to melt. Season with salt and pepper.
· Add the pasta to the sauce and cover all the pasta.
· Top with parmesan cheese and fresh basil if desired.